STOP SPAMMING ME!
Matt Sergeant, Senior Anti-Spam Technologist, MessageLabs Inc.
Date: Monday, July 26
Time: 8:45am - 12:15pm
Location: Salon G
In this tutorial Sergeant goes through the most effective techiques to secure your company's mail
server against spam. He'll talk about when to do spam detection, how to best deal
with spam, and covers a range of open source tools that you can use to prevent
spam interfering with the day to day operation of your business:
- Who's spamming you and how?
- Why do you get spam while your friend doesn't?
Spam Detection Techniques
- The importance of checking during or after SMTP
- Checking the connection (IP blocklists, RHS blocklists)
- Which blocklists you should use and which you should avoid and why
- Checking the SMTP HELO string
- Rejecting invalid recipients: Pros and Cons
- Data checks
- Content Filters
- Per-User Configuration Issues
- Sender Pays
- MTAs and their extensibility features
- Anti Spam Tools
- Bayes engines (spambayes, popfile, bogofilter etc)
- Sender reputation (Habeas, bonded sender/senderbase)
- SPF (and the current alternatives)
© 2004, O'Reilly Media, Inc.