Advanced Perl DBI
Tim Bunce, CTO, Data Plan Services
Date: Tuesday, July 25
Time: 8:30am - 12:00pm
Location: Portland 253
- Speed, speed, speed: what helps, what doesn't; database design, application partitioning, network latency, stored procedures, caching, etc.,; profiling and working with DBI::Profile data.
- Handling handles and binding values; your TYPE or mine?
- Error checking, recovery, and transactions; PrintError, RaiseError, and HandleError; the importance of checking and the virtues of evaluation
- How transactions and RaiseError work together
- Wheels within wheels: the architecture and how to see inside it using trace
- DBI for the Web: Connect speed, state-less-ness, browsing pages of results, concurrent editing, and optimistic locking, security tainting
- Handling LONG/BLOB data
- Database and Platform Portability: database and driver metadata, SQL dialects
- DBD::Proxy and DBD::Multiplex
- What's new and what's planned