Avi Kak, Professor, Purdue Univ, Purdue University
Date: Monday, July 24
Time: 8:30am - 12:00pm
After a brief recap of the basic syntax of the languages, the tutorial will focus on the following topics:
- the concept of a class
- designing constructors
- syntax for writing methods
- specifying inheritance
- how the search is carried out in the inheritance tree
- method resolution order for the new-style Python classes
- extending the built-in types in Python
- memory-allocation for the new-style classes in Python
- abstract classes in Perl and Python
- raising exceptions in Perl and Python.
The tutorial will also review specific well-known object-oriented modules in Perl and Python. Examples shown will be drawn from scripting for GUI and for networking.