Care and Feeding of Large Web Applications
Perrin Harkins, Senior Engineer, Plus Three
Date: Wednesday, July 25
Time: 11:35am - 12:20pm
Location: Portland 256
It all started out so simple, but somewhere along the line your web app turned into a beast. How do you keep it under control as it expands across multiple machines, multiple versions, and client customizations?
This talk will examine how open source tools were used to manage a large, modern, Perl web application through three years of major growth and change. Topics will include:
- Leveraging version control and branching strategies.
- Managing large sets of CPAN modules, some with local changes.
- Creating an automated build system.
- Testing strategies for a complicated database application and a modern web UI.
- Automating data migration during upgrades.
- Isolating client-specific changes from core code with a plugin system.
We'll talk about worked, where the common wisdom failed us, and what practical lessons you can take from our experience.