Web2Open: Where the Attendees are the Presenters
What is Web2Open?
Web2Open is a part of the Web 2.0 Expo, open to anyone who would like to attend. (We do ask that you have a badge, but you may register for a free Expo Only badge using the code at the bottom of this page.) The Web 2Open was conceived with FooCamp/BarCamp in mind. This open event blends some pre-scheduled content with an open grid where the attendees fill in the sessions they either want to discuss or present themselves. It is the perfect space to provide the community at large with a place to connect with other attendees, learn more about elements of Web 2.0, and share oneís knowledge and experiences.
Web2Open will consist of four major elements:
- Open Grid Sessions, where an attendee can propose a topic for a talk he or she would like to give, and simply show up and deliver the talk. Open Sessions may be scheduled onsite. Open Grid Sessions run 1:00 - 5:00pm Tuesday and Wednesday.
- Pre-Scheduled Open Speaker Sessions, also given by attendees but pre-scheduled in advance, will run 1:00 - 5:00pm Tuesday and Wednesday. Submit your idea for a open speaker session.
- BoFs (Birds of a Feather sessions), informal discussion groups on a particular topic, suggested and run by attendees. These differ from Open Sessions in that there is no formal presentation, only a discussion among whoever shows up. BoFs may be scheduled in advance or onsite at the event. BoFs will run 7:30 - 9:30pm Monday and Tuesday.
- Mashroom, a room designated for some serious API mashups and getting down and building stuff. More details on this coming soon. The Mashroom will be open throughout the event.
How do I attend Web2Open?
If you are registered for any Web 2.0 Expo package you automatically have access to Web2Open. If you do not have a badge and would like to attend Web2Open for free, register for the Expo Only badge using the code on the Web 2.0 Expo brochure we sent you, or the code from the promotion that sent you to this page. If you canít find that code or didnít receive one, you may use discount code webex07opn when you register. Entering this code will zero out your balance for the Expo Only Pass, so your attendance at the event will be free. See what else is included with the Expo Only Pass.
How do I propose a topic for Web2Open?
- To propose a topic for a pre-scheduled session, post your topic on the Web2Open wiki.
- To propose a topic for a BoF before the event, fill out the BoF form.
- To offer an Open Session or to propose a BoF topic onsite at the event, simply go to the whiteboard on the 2nd floor of Moscone West when you arrive and write down your suggestion.
Who is organizing Web2Open?
Tara Hunt and Chris Messina of Citizen Agency and Ross Mayfield of SocialText are leading Web2Open, working in conjuction with program chairs Jennifer Pahlka and Brady Forrest.